PREPARATION FOR A FOREIGNER DEPARTURE TO HAITI


It’s difficult to believe that very shortly I will be departing from the comfort of my home to travel to a different country; not for the pursuit of luxury that an exotic, 5-star vacation resort has to offer, but to visit the beautiful, poverty-stricken nation of Haiti. This country is what I had witnessed on television and in the media for weeks as a 10-year-old after the January 12th, 7.0 magnitude earthquake struck the country in 2010. I remember holding the belief that the problem was so far away that there was nothing much I could do to save this suffering country. But here I am, 8 years later, less than 2 months from boarding a plane to travel 5000 km to this Caribbean island on a mission trip with Haiti Arise Ministries and Inspired2change. We will be assisting in the drilling of a water well for the community of Merger, helping in the construction of a church building, and facilitating other events and activities with Haiti Arise.

Yes, part of me is nervous towards the thought of going on such a life-changing and eye-opening adventure. The culture will be a shock, the heat will in all likelihood, hit my Canadian -30 degree Celsius adaptations like a brick wall, and there will be heartfelt sadness in witnessing the reality of poverty, but I cannot express how excited I am. The culture, the people, the beauty, and the faith; I don’t know how I’ll be able to take it all in throughout just 10 days.

 I’ve been learning a lot in our team training sessions, and Samuel Bernard, our team leader and a Haitian himself, has been sharing with us from a national’s perspective, very intriguing knowledge about the Haitian culture, Creole language, and people. I’ve learned of some very interesting cultural norms including the unaccepted behavior of showing the soles of your feet or smelling your food prior to eating. I’ve also gained very insightful information on the truth of poverty in that it is not merely materialistic, but rather encompasses a wide range of psychological, emotional, relational, and spiritual elements. Therefore, our poverty- alleviation efforts should incorporate more than just material solutions.

But the most important thing I’ve learned is that my 10-year-old self was correct in that I cannot save Haiti. I can, however, be Christ’s hands and feet, an example of His love, his vessel to bring about change and be used by God in the work He is already doing there. I know that I just need to come with an open heart and an open mind. I’m uncertain as to how I will exactly be impacted by this trip, but I know that when I return home, I will have a very different perspective.
        
Bondye beniw (God bless you),

Erin McKinnon

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts