A foreigner in Haiti for the first time

So today the excitement arrived as we boarded the plane to Haiti. I had so many preconceived ideas about what I would see. I flew in the plane and kept looking out the window. Then we flew over Turks and Caicos and watched it get closer. The island drew closer. I saw it. Then the roads  the trees and the smoke from fires. I landed and I said hey this is not so bad. Then we went through customs. I said oh this is pretty good. Went to baggage and the chaos begins. Standing in airport with no air conditioning was a new experience on a thirty degree day. We had to have all the different tags and cards to present to the staff. Finally got our bags and had to go out through the doors. 
Then it got real. The heat. The humidity. I said, how can they stand out here like this? Then we went Round looking for our ride. Haiti does not like pedestrians. Huge rut in road. Luggage cart gets stuck. Now the policeman comes over. Hurry up. Move!

My ride shows up and two guys place their hands on my luggage all the way to the car. I guess they were desperate for money. I keep telling them, no money no money. I feel Terrible.
We get in and leave.
So the slalom race starts.
I felt as if I’m in an off road race. Cars jutting out. Horns blaring. Motorcyclists no helmets. I look a small truck with 25 people in and on it. Look another. Wow.
We continue. I start to get scared. I say I can’t believe they drive like this. It’s survival of the fittest I guess. Do they value their own life? As we drive I see the poverty and I start to get choked up. My mind cannot handle it. How does this happen? These are humans. Back home people have more concern over stray dogs. It was heartbreaking.

We arrive at Anatoth. 
Peace, serenity. Nice meal. They have nice showers.  I get the grand tour everyone welcomes me. Ladies making peanuts. Very loving place. I can see god has been invited here. He is working. There are teachers. There are students. Studying for tomorrow’s exam. I felt so at home. This is where god is at work. These people live in faith. The people are doing his work. There are people working for him. His face is on this place.  We are his hands and feet. 

Bondye beniw (God bless),


transportation in Haiti


 Preparing to make peanut butter

 Filling water



Hardware store

Comments

Popular Posts