So today the excitement arrived as we boarded the plane to Haiti. I had so many preconceived ideas about what I would see . I flew in the plane and kept looking out the window . Then we flew over Turks and Caicos and watched it get closer . The island drew closer . I saw it . Then the roads , the trees and the smoke from fires.
I landed and I said hey this is not so bad . Then we went through customs.
I said oh this is pretty good .
Went to baggage and the chaos begins. Standing in airport with no air conditioning was a new experience on a thirty degree day. We had to have all the different tags and cards to present to the staff. Finally got our bags and had to go out through the doors .
Then it got real. The heat . The humidity . I said how can they stand out here like this .  Then we went Round looking for our ride. Haiti does not like pedestrians. Huge rut in road . Luggage cart gets stuck . Now the policeman comes over . Hurry up . Move !

My ride shows up and two guys place their hands on my luggage all the way to the car . I guess they were desperate for money. I keep telling them , no money no money . I feel Terrible .
We get in and leave .
So the slalom race starts .
I felt as if I’m in an off road race. Cars jutting out . Horns blaring. Motorcyclists no helmets . I look a small truck with 25 people in and on it . Look another . . Wow .
We continue . I start to get scared . I say I can’t believe they drive like this . It’s survival of the fittest I guess.
Do they value their own life .
As we drive I see the poverty and I start to get choked up. My mind cannot handle it . How does this happen ? These are humans. Back home people have more concern over stray dogs . It was heartbreaking .

We arrive at anatoth . 
Peace , serenity . Nice meal. They have nice showers .  I get the grand tour everyone welcomes me . Ladies making peanuts . Very loving place . I can see god has been invited here . He is working . There are teachers . There are students . Studying for tomorrow’s exam. I felt so at home . This is where god is at work . These people live in faith . The people are doing his work. There are people working for him. His face is on this place .  We are his hands and feet . 

Comments

Popular Posts